Our client had procured a 150,000 sq warehouse near Bury that required a comprehensive fit out to service their operational needs. One of the biggest challenges faced was the fact that the facility needed to be at least partially operational within a short timescale.
This was achieved by phasing the works to ensure that critical areas were completed earlier and handed over before other less important departments. Consequentially, the majority of the project was undertaken whilst at least some of the warehouse was occupied and of course this brought its own challenges that were successfully negotiated.
A number of the specialist sub-contract packages were directly employed by Wincanton including mechanical, electrical, refrigeration and dock levellers, however as Principal Contractor it was within our brief to manage and programme their works to ensure that all works were fully co-ordinated.
Significant work packages included:
- Strip out and demolition of existing areas.
- Formation of 80,000 sq of insulated chilled and frozen storage within the existing ambient warehouse.
- Installation of a brand new glycol based refrigeration system.
- Complete re-ordering of loading docks including the installation of new dock levellers.
- Refurbishment of existing offices to Wincanton specification.
- Installation of internal and external protection systems for walls, door openings etc.
- Refurbishment and re-lining of existing concrete floors.
- Significant drainage works including the installation of hydrocarbon interceptors and Penstock valve.
- Installation of new security facility.
- Replacement of security doors throughout the building.
- Asbestos removal works.
- Turnstile barriers and perimeter fencing.
- The project was completed and handed over on time and within budget to an extremely happy client.